Sunday, May 21, 2006

Eurovision – Could it be a good thing?

I did not watch the Eurovision contest. I just extrapolated it from the one last year and the years before that. The trend was easy to predict, each contest is pretty much the same. In order to get a lot of support you need to be a large nation which has a lot of people in other countries. It is never surprising when Germany gives 12 points to Turkey.
Nevertheless, when the winner of Eurovision was announced this year, it was a major slap in the face for all of us cynics out there. I might not particularly like Lordi. I might even consider them slightly silly. And I’m a fan of heavy metal, I wonder what my grandmother thinks about them. I’m absolutely sure Lordi would never win at Popstars, Supernova or any other competition of popularity organized by the big music production companies. They have, however, won the Eurovision.
One explanation is that everyone else was appalling, and that’s the one I’m seriously looking into at the moment. The other, a bit less conventional, and more likely just my wishful thinking, is that just maybe we’ve reached the ultimate acceptable level of Britney Spears clones and just maybe people are fed up with it. Just maybe, we have a critical mass of people forming, who can’t stand being told they should listen to sweet looking blondes and fake ghetto exports, who make bad videos and worse music and actually get paid for it. Just maybe there are still some people out there, who value creativity more than conformity. And finally, in my humble opinion, there’s much better hard rock and metal out there than Lordi. If Lordi helps people realize it’s not all the work of Satan, we just might see some non-conventional but nevertheless very good music aired more often. Or, the majority can just keep on licking a certain lollipop. It doesn’t make much of a difference to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home