Sunday, May 14, 2006

English, internet, communication and culture

A friend of mine asked me why this blog was in English. Answer I gave him seemed perfectly reasonable to me at the time, well because people outside Slovenia read it too. Checking my traffic reports, Slovenian domains represent 70% of traffic, so it does make sense.
Still, a week later, I’m thinking about the question. I’m by no means a nationalist, but I like Slovenia in general. I like our language. I still think the decision to do it in English was good, since more people can read and comment on what I think. It is widely accessible, as any text on the Internet should be. What worries me, though, is the fact that I didn’t even think about this myself. Everyone roughly my age can speak English in Slovenia. I read daily news in English, the Reuters and the BBC RSS feeds. Movies I watch are in English, most books I read are in English. Some of the materials for my exams is in English. I even have a friend who speaks English half the time. My former boss spoke English only, as he was German. All my discussion with business partners was in English.
What’s the point of Slovene on the Internet? It’s traditional, it allows expression of your culture and it is a part of your identity. But if your aim is to get the point across to an undefined audience, Slovene is much less practical. And what real point is there to a language, when it ceases to be practical for every day communication? Is internet therefore a force that binds us all to use English, or is it a force that allows us to celebrate cultural diversity, like in the example of the various language Wikipedias (to be honest I only use the English one anyway…)? Slovene survived about a thousand years of Germanic occupation, quite a few years of Italian occupation, second world war and 50 years in Yugoslavia. Will it survive as the principle method for day to day communication in light of globalisation? War as means of domination seem obsolete nowdays.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that due to the nature of globalization, instant messaging and closer-cooperation, English is in fact going to become the World’s language.
However rather than replacing national languages, people will simply be bilingual from the get go. Thus merging practicality and diversity.

It’s also the way I’ll raise my kids, teaching them both Slovenian and English from day one. It has nothing to do with my preference for the West; I simply believe that it will make their lives easier.

BTW, I wouldn’t happen to be the friend, would I? :)

6:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never could understand why I should learn all the exceptions and beauties of slovene grammar. Yes, we may get some added value in literal works, but still I don't primarily read those to get estetical pleasures, but because I am looking for fresh ideas, new views of the world.

In the end it is about getting The idea, information accros and in doing so the new world language is much more efficient.

However, even though slovenian is not the prettiest kid around, it is my kid.

3:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi !.
might , probably curious to know how one can manage to receive high yields .
There is no initial capital needed You may begin to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
AimTrust represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with structures everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your chance That`s what you desire!

I`m happy and lucky, I started to get income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to select a proper partner who uses your money in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://ipujycireh.uvoweb.net/yjovuh.html
and go! Let`s take this option together to get rid of nastiness of the life

8:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello!
You may probably be very curious to know how one can manage to receive high yields on investments.
There is no initial capital needed.
You may commense earning with a money that usually goes
for daily food, that's 20-100 dollars.
I have been participating in one company's work for several years,
and I'm ready to let you know my secrets at my blog.

Please visit blog and send me private message to get the info.

P.S. I make 1000-2000 per day now.

[url=http://theblogmoney.com] Online investment blog[/url]

4:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home